GoodLife Pharmacy is a fast-growth, highly innovative business based in East Africa. The company provides trusted pharmaceuticals to customers across incomes from convenient locations – with a total reach of 1.2 million people.
Co-founded by Dr Josh Ruxin in 2013 with the aim of “helping the nation to look and feel good one person at a time”, GoodLife focuses on providing high-quality individual customer care. Under the leadership of CEO Tony McNally, the company has quickly grown to 19 stores, with plans to expand its footprint to over 100 stores over the next five years.
A leader and innovator in the pharma segment, GoodLife is a pharmacy, provides first line primary healthcare, and is introducing access to clinicians through in-store telemedicine services. By increasing access to reliable medication at affordable prices, GoodLife Pharmacy is having a direct impact on the quality of life, and wellness of East Africa’s increasingly affluent population.
GoodLife has been endorsed by The Pharmaceuticals Society of Kenya, through their Green Cross Audit, as best pharmacy practice in the country. This is in recognition of GoodLife’s ongoing commitment to excellence in pharmacy practice and standards. The GoodLife approach to quality pharmaceuticals, use of innovative technologies across their stores, and customer-centric approach is revolutionising how healthcare is delivered in East Africa.
GoodLife plans to expand to over 100 stores by 2021, reaching over 5.5 million consumers, and creating over 700 jobs, of which approximately 400 will be held by pharmaceutical professionals.
- Gap: access to affordable pharmaceuticals is a key challenge in East Africa, where about a third of commercialized drugs are estimated to be counterfeits
- Theory of Change: GoodLife addresses the following:
- Affordability: c. 30% cheaper than competition due to efficient supply chain
- Quality: only purchases from certified manufacturers and wholesalers; only employs qualified pharmacists; strong focus on customer care
- Access: growing convenience store network to increase reach among emerging consumers (USD 2-10 income per day)
- GoodLife aims to reach 1 million emerging consumers by 2021